Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Off Campus Access
Off campus access to library electronic resources is through EZ Proxy. When you find a resource on our e-resources page or in our library catalog just follow the link like you would any other. You will receive a login page asking for your NetID and password. Just enter your information and you'll be automatically taken to the resource.
If you have any problems please feel free to call us at (800) 500-1554 or (517) 355-2345. Help is available 24/7 from Distance Learning Services.
Who has access?
The EZproxy is available to current MSU faculty, staff and students. Students must be enrolled in at least 1 credit in order to be authorized. If you have problems logging in please call us at (800) 500-1554 or (517) 355-2345 so we can troubleshoot with you.
Who needs to use it?
You will need to use the EZProxy if you are trying to access restricted resources from off-campus, campus wireless or from MSU dial-up.
Which resources require it?
Resources that have a green IP icon require the use of EZProxy. Resources that have a globe icon are public resources which do not require authentication. The resources that do require authentication should automatically prompt you for it when you click on the link.
How do I access MSU Library resources when using Google Scholar?
If you are accessing resources through Google Scholar and want to ensure your access to MSU Library resources is seamless, do the following:
- Go to Google Scholar
- Click on "Settings" in the upper-right corner
- Click on "Library Links"
- Search for Michigan State University
- Select "Michigan State University – MSU Access" by checking the box
- Click "Save"
- Do your search in Google Scholar
- Click on the link for "MSU Access" that will appear to the right of the title of the resource and you'll be prompted for your NetID and password to access that resource. Please Note – if you click on the title and not the "MSU Access" link you won’t be taken to the resource.
- AOL: Internet Explorer will sometimes not prompt for information or proxy your requests when connected through AOL. It is recommended that you use Firefox if you use AOL.
- Not prompted for user information: This can be caused by a firewall. Ports 443 and 2047 are allowed when using EZProxy links. Check with your technical support people if you are using a workplace computer.
- A link took you straight to the resource: If the resource denies you access then it is possible the link hasn't been updated to use EZProxy. Please let us know what resource you were accessing and the link you followed so we can fix it. We can be reached at (800) 500-1554 or (517) 355-2345. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You receive an error page that says the resource is not setup with EZProxy: Please let us know what resource you were accessing and the link you followed so we can fix it. We can be reached at (800) 500-1554 or (517) 355-2345. You can also email us at email@example.com.