Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The following are frequently asked questions about using computer in the MSU Libraries.
- Does the library have computers that I can use?
- What software programs are available on Windows Login computers?
- Can I save my files to the hard drive on a computer in the main library?
- Where are the network connections for laptops in the main library building?
- Do any of the libraries on campus offer wireless network access?
- How do I print something at the main library?
- Selected Resources: Computers that provide access to the web version of the catalog and the E-Resources that the Libraries' subscribe to.
- Windows Login: available with word processing and internet software. These machines also require authentication by the use of your valid MSUNet ID and password.
Please ask at the Circulation Desk or Reference Desk for the location of these machines.
For more information on computer facilities in the Main Library, please see the supplemental list of Computer FAQs
For information on what kinds of software programs are available on Windows Login and Mac IOS computers in the Main Library or campus Computer Labs, see the MSU Classroom Computing Software List.
Network Drive Icons
|Operating System Icons||Instructions|
You can save files to the hard drive on a Windows Login computer, but those file may be lost if the computer freezes, or if the system has to be restarted. Files can be saved to your personal AFS space using the network connection that is connected when you login to a Windows computer. You can save your files to removable media on any of the Windows Login. The programs on the Selected Resource workstations can usually e-mail their results to a mail account, or save to a USB flash key.
Mac OS X
On a Macintosh system space you will see your AFS space mounted as a drive icon on the desktop. If you do not, you must click on the icon in the Dock to connect to your AFS space.
You can also save files onto a CD/DVD, but you'll need to use the proper media and computer combination. Check out the Media Drive capabilities on the library's Windows Login computers.
Within the Main Library, there are more than 300 wired network ports between the east and west sides of the building. Look at empty study carrels for an outlet box with a bright orange plug or orange NET LINK sign. Ask at a service desk if you need help locating one.
The Main Library currently offers wireless network access to MSU students, staff, and faculty throughout the building. For information on how to use wireless in the library please go to the following page: Internet & Wireless
Two print options (MSU Print and/or Copy Center Laser) are available in the Main Library. For information on how to print in the library please go to the following page: Print, Plot, & Scan