Access to Elsevier digital content will be unavailable on Saturday evening, August 1st, during a systems upgrade beginning at 6:00 PM Eastern Time and continuing for up to five (5) hours. Among materials affected are the following frequently-used resources: ScienceDirect, Scopus, Engineering Village, Mendeley, SciVal, Reaxys, and Embase.
- Sharon Ladenson (Chair)
- Joshua Barton
- Chris DeFord
- Erica Ervin
- Navidad Gonzalez
- Jon Harrison
- Ranti Junus
- Jill Morningstar
- Emily Treptow
- Tina Qin
Promoting Diversity in Librarianship
Charge of the Diversity Advisory Committee:
In conjunction with appropriate Libraries' staff, plan public programming on diversity and inclusion for
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in support of the University theme, and
- Other similar diversity events/celebrations, as needed.
- In conjunction with Libraries' Human Resources, identify and recommend programming on diversity and inclusion for staff.
- The Diversity Committee Chair keeps the AD for Public Services informed of activities.
- 2014 MLK, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Library Exhibit Exhibits
- 2013 MLK, Jr. Commemorative Celebration Library Exhibit Exhibits
|May - July 2014||LBGTQ YA literature||Jill Morningstar|
|August – Mid October 2014||One Book, One Community (Three Voices on Race in America: March Book One, Fruitvale Station, and Grace of Silence)||Chris DeFord, Sheila Bryant, and Joshua Barton|
|October-December 2014||Native American heritage and participation in the Civil War||Jon Harrison|
|January-February 2015||Martin Luther King Jr. Anniversary "Multicultural Heroes: Crossing Borders, Breaking Barriers, and Building Bridges"||Emily Treptow|
|March-April 2015||Women in science and technology||Tina Qin, Ranti Junus, and Erica Ervin|
|May-July 2015||LBGTQ Pride||Sharon Ladenson and Joshua Barton|
Observance of Holidays:
This project was started to inform library staff who are scheduling library events of the observance of some religious holidays that might prevent some staff from attending the event. The spreadsheet below is updated yearly for a set of major holidays identified by the Diversity Committee.
Holiday Calendar Spreadsheet (use MSU NetID to view in GoogleApps)
Diversity Resources in the MSU Libraries
We have a number of Diversity Research Guides to help you find books, journals and movies by or about African Americans, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, Jewish, Muslim and other religious groups, LGBTQ persons, and other populations.
Promoting Diversity Opportunities in Librarianship:
- Association of Research Libraries Diversity Initiatives, including Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce
- American Library Association Office of Diversity, including Spectrum Scholarships
- ACE (Academic and Cultural Enrichment) Scholars Program (UNC)
- ASCLA Century Scholars for Students with Disabilities
- 2012 Joint Conference of Librarians of Color Conference
- REFORMA Scholarship
- Training Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (UMN)
- ALA Annual Diversity Research Grant
- "Creating Inclusive Excellence" (MSU Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives)
Services for Persons with Disabilities
If you are in need of assistance using the library, please visit the Services for Persons with Disabilities page.