SkyMatch Shelf Ready Processing Procedures
This document represents the condensed, "lite" version of the shelf-ready procedures approved by Technical Services Team Managers on March 25, 2009. Revised 10/22/2010 and 5/8/2012.
STEP 1: Documentation present with the truck should include the YBP invoice and a copy of the SkyMatch Cataloging Report. To verify that records have been loaded, in Sierra Acquisitions go to IMPORT INVOICES and click on the ACCEPT/REJECT tab. Look for the invoice number on the list.
- If invoice number is there, the records have been loaded and you are set to proceed.
- If the invoice number is not there, the records for that invoice have not been loaded. Check with Kim in Acq.
STEP 2: Search Sierra Acquisitions by title to find the order. Compare the online catalog and YBP invoice p.o. numbers -- they should match.
- Write the purchase order number in the gutter of the page following the title page.
- Check the title off the invoice.
- If a dup is suspected, check with Kim in Mono. Acq. to see if duplicate records are present because of a YBP credit memo. If a credit memo has not been issued, advise Huei of the duplicate order.
STEP 3: Update Sierra Acquisitions
|FOR FIRM ORDERS|
|Order||R date||type t for today's date|
|Order||Note||For non-print supplementary material, indicate number and form of supplementary items (i.e., book + 1 CD); initial and date|
|Order||Requestor||Use initials from selection slip|
|Order||Internal note||Processor's initials|
|Order||External note||Requestor/selector initials from selection slip|
|Order||Fund||From selection slip|
|Order||Rdate||type t for today's date|
|Order||Vendor||Adjust as needed|
|Order||Location||DEST from selection slip|
|Order||Geographic code||Use u for United States; use f for all others|
|Order||Ord note||For RUSH titles only; use code r|
|Order||Note||For non-print supplementary material, indicate type of material received (i.e., book + 1 CD); initial and date|
STEP 4: Separate the labeled books from the unlabeled ones.
STEP 5: For labeled books with complete MARC bib records verify that the bib record matches the book in hand. Check these fields:
MAT TYPE = a
MARC LEADER (expand with ctrl + r)
- BIB LEVL = m
- ENC LEVL = I, 1, 4, (blank), 7 or 8
050/090 call number
- Certain call numbers ranges are cataloged for specific locations other than MN:
|M, ML, MT||Music Library (MU)|
|N-NX||Art Library (AR)|
|TR||Art Library (AR)|
- Flag call numbers in DT727-971, PZ, FC, and Z over 5000
- Flag any call numbers with v. or no. designations (call numbers that look like analyzed call numbers): 1998: no. 3; 1995 v. 6
Check to make sure call number in 050 or 090 has a $b containing (for example) a cutter and year. Call numbers lacking a $b should be flagged.
- Ok: E748.T58 $b C74 2012
- Not ok: E748.T58
- The 050 or 090 call number field in the record that is tagged with a “c” (CALL#) should match the label on the book. If it does not, change the tags so that the “c” tag call number matches the book label. Code any 050 or 090 call number field that is NOT correct with a “y” (MARC) tag.
- Check to make sure book & record match
- Check to make sure book & record match
250 edition statement
- Check to make sure book & record match
260 or 264
- $b publisher
- Check to make sure book and record match for both $b and $c
- Check accuracy of any standalone copyright dates in 264 _4 $c
- Flag any books with one-year discrepancy in 260 $c or 264 $c.
- If it reflects CIP information (no pagination), edit the record to reflect pagination
- If pagination is present, make sure it matches
- If a labeled book includes nonprint supplementary material, refer to streamer preparation steps for unlabeled books (under STEP 7 below)
Oversize procedures - for locations MN, AR and MU only:
- Measure books that appear to be oversized (height of more than 30cm and/or width of more than 29cm) and enter measurements/correct measurements as needed in the 300 field; round to the highest centimeter.
- For MN books that are oversized, change the location to OV, mark with Oversize location stamp and write in the call #; place on appropriate truck (Shelf-ready or CP, depending on if book arrived labeled or not).
- For AR books that are oversized, mark with Art location stamp, write in call # followed by ‘folio.’ (Ex: N 1 .A123 2010 folio) Place on appropriate truck.
- For MU books that are oversized, mark with Music location stamp, write in call # followed by ‘folio.’ (Ex: MT 1 .A123 2012 folio) Place on appropriate truck.
- Make sure record contains at least one subject with a second indicator 0 (zero)
- ... unless piece is a literary work classed in PB-PL or PM-PT. Subject headings are not required for these classes.
Consult the Copy Cataloging Troubleshooting Guide for more tips.
STEP 6: For all labeled books, update the cat date field in the bib record. Update the cdate field in the order record. Attach an ITEM record. Include appropriate WORKSTATS code.
- When you attach the item record, be sure you are using the itm item template. If you are not prompted to choose a template and you're not sure how to check which template you're using, ask Linda or Leah to show you how to check. DO NOT CHOOSE TEMPLATES BY NUMBER -- numbers may change as new templates are added or obsolete templates deleted.
- The "w" code you put in the item record should be either
dccopymono[your initials] if you're a CatMan cataloger
aqskymatch[your initials] if you're an Acquisitions processor
**Note: Copy Cataloging team catalogers, continue to use dc or aq workstat codes, according to your former team.**
For branch locations use appropriate branch library stamp (inside front cover for hardbacks, verso of title page for paperbacks.
Transfer books to the Shelf Ready Barcoding truck in Acquisitions.
- Labeled books with problem flags go to SkyMatch Problems.
- Labeled books with nonprint supplementary material go to the locked cabinet in Acquisitions.
STEP 7: For unlabeled books, prepare streamers:
- Complete a receiving streamer.
- Initial and date a SkyMatch streamer.
- Put both streamers in the book.
Transfer the books to the proper workflow:
- SUPPLEMENTARY NONPRINT: transfer to the software cabinet in Acquisitions. A specific shelf in the cabinet is labeled for location MU materials.
- Location MU materials: transfer to the Music cataloging shelf in Acquisitions.
- PATRON NOTIFY: complete the notify streamer, insert a red flag, and transfer to the Copy Cataloging RUSH shelf.
- TRAVEL BOOKS: these are books ordered for location ‘irtrv’. R-date the record, place a red streamer in the item, and put it on the Copy Cataloging RUSH shelf.
REFERENCE locations SS, SSQRF, SSBIO, and SSFOU:
If the selector or approver of the order is TTM, insert a red "reference" streamer and transfer to the "rush" cataloging shelves
If TTM is NOT listed as selector or approver, insert a red "reference" streamer and transfer to the "reference review" shelves.
- OTHER REFERENCE LOCATIONS (AF and CA): check the appropriate box on the red reference streamer and transfer the book to the "rush" cataloging shelves.
- FOR MAIN BUILDING COURSE RESERVES (location MNRES): insert a yellow flag and transfer to the "rush" cataloging shelf.
- FOR BRANCH COURSE RESERVES (locations BURES, ENRES, VTRES, etc.): insert a yellow flag and transfer to the "rush" cataloging shelf.
- GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS (destination GD): transfer to the DOCUMENTS shelf in Acq.
- FLAGGED PROBLEMS: transfer to SkyMatch Problems shelf.
- NO RECORD SUPPLIED: transfer to SkyMatch Problems shelf.
STEP 8: Process invoice for payment through the Sierra Acquisitions "accept/reject" process (approvals only; firm order invoices are paid prior to the processing step).
STEP 9: Record invoicing statistics and submit form to Kay at the end of the month.
SPECIAL NOTE ON RETURNS:
Because these books are arriving pre-processed we may only return if the book is so heavily damaged structurally as to make it unusable (detached cover), for defects in manufacturing (pages missing or bound upside down), or in the case of an error on YBP's part (wrong book supplied). If in doubt, consult with Leah.