Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Preservation Guidelines for Processing Materials
Store materials away from direct sunlight.
- Space the shelves far enough apart to shelve books UPRIGHT. If volume is too tall to shelve vertically, adjust the shelving height or have the book reassigned to folio or OVERSIZE shelving. Fore edge shelving is UNACCEPTABLE because it can cause the book block to tear from its case.
- Use BookendS at the ends of shelves to keep the books in place.
- Use pink ties to hold materials together. Never use rubber bands.
- Avoid shelving too loosely: the books may permanently bend or splay.
- Place security strips against binding, not against textblock of hard bound books.
- Place security strip deep in the gutter for paperback materials. Do not security strip single signature, stapled materials.
- Open Books gently, don’t bend covers back, don’t "crack" cases.
Additional Guidelines For Loading Trucks:
- Place books in an upright position on trucks because placing books on their fore edges even for a short period of time can cause the body of the book to tear out of its covers.
- Stack no other materials on top of a row of books.
- Keep books vertical on partially filled shelves by using BookendS or a group of books laid f l a t to support the others.
- Place OVERSIZE books f l a t on the truck shelf.
- Balance weight distribution so that book trucks will not tip.
- Avoid jamming books too tightly.
- Move book trucks carefully on and off elevators, around corners, and in narrow passages.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN MAINTAINING OUR COLLECTIONS.