Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- The truck is received by the Monographs Quality Control staff member and is delivered by a Conservation staff member.
Look up each book in the catalog. Then:
- Barcode. Make sure it is on the back If no barcode is present, give it one, unless it is going to Special Collections. If it has been bar-coded on the inside, duplicate barcode it on the back. There will sometimes be a barcode included on a slip of paper in the book. Make a decision about keeping that barcode (by duplication) or replacing it with a new one.
- If the call # is not written on the inside of the book, replace it.
- If the book is going to a branch library, stamp it for its destination and make sure its barcode is yellow.
- If the piece is in a preservation box, barcode the box and put a duplicate barcode on the back of the book.
Check item records for:
- status: it should be clear of the letters: r, p, or i. The default status is "-", but it may also have a status "o".
- note from Conservation discussing the work done on the book
- Clean up item as necessary, i.e. volume holdings, spacing etc.
- "Erase" flags. Bring all books with this flag to circulation. Give to the supervisor on duty so they can distribute work to students.
- Flags with barcodes. Use your own discretion. Either use that barcode and dup a new one for the back, or throw it away and give the book a new barcode on the back. If you chose to give it a new one, make sure to enter the information into the item record.
- All other flags: recycle or throw away.
- If the book has been checked for the above-mentioned things, has the correct call # label, and has been bar-coded on the back, it can go directly to central distribution.
- Keep the remaining books without labels on the truck and add the truck to the labeling flow. Give it a # and mark the truck on blue truck flow sheet near room W128.
- After truck is labeled, it will come back to Monograph Quality Controller who will revise it and put books onto the central distribution shelves on 1 East.
- Return truck to Conservation or email them to come pick it up.