Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Faculty Book Collection
Faculty books are delivered to CatMan on the Rush truck with streamers marking them for the Faculty Book Collection (FBC). Location placement for faculty books is subject to the discretion of the Head of Special Collections. For more details on the guidelines for determining the location of faculty books, see Faculty Book Collection Cataloging. Once a year new titles and volumes are selected to be featured in the Faculty Book Reception held each spring.
Faculty Book Processing Procedure
- Faculty books arrive on the Rush Truck with a FBC streamer in them.
Identify which location the book is destined for, whether for the Faculty Book Collection or another location.
- Books destined for the FBC will have no location stamped above the handwritten call number inside the book.
- The bib and item location for books going directly to the Faculty Book Collection is dv.
- The call number in paperbacks will be hand written in pencil on the back of the title pages (middle of the page), and hard bound pieces will have the call number hand written in the upper left corner of the inside cover.
- The only time there will be a location stamp above the handwritten call number is when the book is destined for a branch.
Pieces will get the MSU ownership stamp, a date due slip, call number label, and a Faculty book label.
- Ownership stamp or sticker is placed centered on the inside front cover.
- Date dues should be placed on the first fly leaf of all pieces, unless the first fly is the title page. If the title page would be covered by the date due, place the date due on the inside cover or tip in using the date due slip that has a folded edge.
- Pieces with book jacket covers will have a clear plastic dust cover placed around the book jacket. A call number label will be placed on the book jacket before it is covered with the clear plastic dust cover. Also place a call number label on the book even when the book has a book jacket.
All pieces will get a Faculty book location label stating:
- If there isn't a book jacket, the FBC location label will be placed above the call number label on the spine of the book.
- If there is a book jacket, the FBC location label is placed on the spine of the book jacket underneath the clear plastic dust cover, and above the call number label.
- The FBC location label location label will NOT also be placed directly on the book when there is a book jacket.
Determine where the labels will be placed depending on the width of the spine and the width of both the call number and the FBC location label. If the width of the call number label or the width of the FBC location label requires one of the labels to be on the front of the book, place BOTH labels on the front of the piece with the FBC location label placed UNDERNEATH the call number label on the front of the piece.
- When the call number label is placed on the front of the book the same rule applies about not putting the FBC location label directly on the book when the book has a book jacket.
- Barcodes and shields are always placed directly on the back cover of the actual book. When there is a book jacket, the barcode is duplicated and placed on the back cover of the clear plastic dust cover. The dup. barcode is not placed directly on the book jacket because by now the book jacket has already been covered with the plastic dust cover.
For barcode quality control verify that the following steps are completed:
- The bib record has the "n" 590 note field, "MSU Stanley C. and Selma D. Hollander Faculty Book Collection."
- The item record ICode2 has an "f" to identify it as a "Faculty Book Collection."
- The item record for new faculty books should have a "f" Staff note, "[YEAR] needed for FBC reception."
- Finished books are placed in the Central Distribution shelving area on the shelf labeled "First Floor Lobby."