Monograph Rush Truck
Monograph rush books are picked up once daily at 11:00 a.m. by a labeling team member.
All Rush labeling work must be completed within 24 hours of being received. If the rush book quantity is very large for one day, Browsing material without a patron Notify may be processed the next day.
Monograph rush materials processed in Catalog Maintenance are found on a RUSH shelf located in Catalog Maintenance opposite the CATMAN student work area. The books on the RUSH shelf should be moved to a truck for daily processing.
Flags and streamers found in the material can be removed once the materials are processed with the following exceptions: Yellow Reserve and Notify streamers.
Most rush material should be processed following the usual guidelines for labeling materials.
Some material requires different processing:
- Does not get a date due slip.
- A letter "R" should be placed above the call number label.
CHILDREN’S BOOK COLLECTION
- Books destined for the Children’s Juvenile collection will have a lavender JUV streamer. The letter “P” will be placed underneath the JUV letters for books designated for picture book section.
- The bib record should also have a series title, "s 830 0 MSU Children's & YA Literature Collection.|5MiEM"
- Do not stamp JUV or Children above the hand written call number which is located inside the book.
- A lavender date due slip is used for these materials and placed on the first fly of the piece.
- All children books will have “MSU JUV Book Collection” label (same as Faculty book label) placed above the call number label on the piece. For picture books, place “PICTURE” label above the “MSU JUV Book Collection.”
- Books with a book jacket - Two call number labels are used: One call number label is placed on the piece itself, and a second call number label is placed on the book jacket. Additionally, a "MSU JUV Book Collection" label is placed on the book jacket above the call number label. Do not place a "MSU JUV Book Collection" label on the piece itself. After the labels are placed on the book jacket, cover it with a plastic cover. Barcode both the book jacket and the piece.
- Books destined for Browsing will have an orange flag in them.
- Do not stamp "Browsing" over the call number which is located on the inside of the book.
- A orange date due slip is used for the material and is placed on the first fly of the piece.
- Books with a book jacket - Two call number labels are used: One call number label is placed on the piece itself, and a second call number label is placed on the book jacket. Additionally, a "Browsing" label is placed on the book jacket above the call number label. Do not place a "Browsing" label on the piece itself. After the labels are placed on the book jacket, cover it with a plastic cover.
- Books with a book jacket – Place a barcode on the back of the piece itself, and a duplicate barcode on the back of the book jacket.
- Books without a book jacket - A call number label is placed on the piece itself and a "Browsing" label is placed above the call number label.
- Notifies – are processed and barcoded the same as any MSU Library location book, but are given to Circulation (Steve) for patron notification.
- Label and barcode books as normal rush books.
- Branch Libraries maintain their own Reference sub locations, item Itype, and Status codes.
- When processing is complete staff will check-in item as in-transit before placing books on their mail shelf. When books are marked In-transit that will erase any changes made to Itype and Status field.
Delivery of books after Labeling
- Deliver Interlibrary Loan books to ILL.
- Reserve books with yellow flags in them are given to reserve staff. Exception: Branch Reserve books (yellow flag) are placed in transit and sent directly to the branch.
- Branch books are checked-in for in Transit by a staff person, and then placed on the corresponding branch mail shelf.
- Browsing and Main Library Notifies are delivered to Staff (Steve) in Circulation.
- Career, Faculty, Juvenile, and Travel books are placed on CATMAN's truck labeled "Volumes for Central Distribution."
- ss and ssfou Reference books are placed on the Reference shelf along the Technical Services hallway wall.
- ssqrf (Closed Reference) books are to be hand delivered/shelved in the closed reference locked cabinet.