Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Oversize - Fine Arts/Music
Fine Arts - Music has specific guidelines by call number range for oversize materials as follows:
M call numbers are always scores. They do NOT get the word folio at the end of the call number in the piece and they do not get the word folio in the front of the call number in the catalog record.
ML & MT call numbers are books and they could be tall or very long and thus considered to be folio. Follow the procedures below.
The size to determine oversize material for Fine Arts - Music is the same as the size used for the Main collection titles, height 31 cm and depth 30 cm.
- Write the call number in the book:
- Do not use f. in the call number
- Write the word folio at the end of the call number
- Stamp the location Music Library over the call number in the book.
- Labeling will include the word folio as part of the call number label. The appearance of the word folio will provide shelving information for staff in the Fine Arts Library.
- There is no separate Fine Arts Oversize location to use in a record exported from Skyriver to the catalog.
- When the piece reaches the bar coding point, the word folio will be placed at the beginning of the call number field; either 050 or 090, by the bar coding student. The student will know to make this addition to the record by the presence of the word folio at the end of the call number on the label. Adding the word at this time, means the word displays preceding the call number in the catalog, but it does not affect indexing or retrieving of the record by the call number.
- The appearance of the word folio at the beginning of the call number, directs users to the appropriate area in Fine Arts to retrieve the piece. Staff in Fine Arts have been consulted and there isn't a problem with the word folio in front of the call number in the catalog and at the end of the call number on the book label.
- ML & MT re-labels may appear with the old f. in the call number. When we find these, the f. should be removed from the call number and the word folio placed at the end of the call number on the book. The catalog should also be edited by placing the |ffolio in front of the call number.