We are currently experiencing problems accessing our catalog, the vendor has been contacted make appropriate repairs.
Serials: Processing Current Number Back Orders Related to Standing Orders
Receiving Current Number Back Orders
- Match the issues sent with the invoice. If they match, continue. If they do not, see Vendor Liaison or Team Manager to resolve.
- If the invoice and issues sent match, search Magic for the appropriate order record. Compare the issues sent to what was ordered. If they match, write "ok to pay," your initials, and today’s date on the invoice. Give to the Serial Invoicer and continue. If they do not, see Vendor Liaison or Team Manager to resolve.
- If the issues sent match the order and all issues ordered were shipped, add today’s date in the "rdate" field and in the "cdate" field. If only part of the order was shipped, list receipts by volume and issue number and today’s date in a "Note" field. Do not add today’s date to the "rdate" or "cdate" fields until all issues ordered are received.
- Stamp these with the MSU ownership stamp and write the current issue location in ink on the upper right hand corner of the front cover.
- Statistics at the receipt point are workload statistics. Count each issue as "1." Record them under "other" in the Serial Replacement Statistics form.
Sorting For Cataloging or Processing Current Number Back Orders
- Search Magic for the appropriate bibliographic record.
- Look for the presence of a catalog date in the bibliographic record. If the "cdate" field is blank, search OCLC for a matching record and continue to step three. If the "cdate field contains a date, skip to step five.
- When a matching OCLC record is found, print it, insert the printout into the top issue, and place on the Serial Copy Catalogers "New Standing Order" shelf. (If you don’t know where the shelf is, please ask).
- When no matching OCLC record is found, place in the designated box near the Serial Original Cataloger with a note "Back Order." (If you don’t know where the box is, please ask).
- The presence of the "cdate" indicates that the title is already cataloged. Holdings must be recorded in both Magic and on the OCLC Local Data Record (LDR). See separate procedures entitled "Creating or editing holdings on Magic or whatever Anne named it" and "Editing LDR’S or whatever Amy names it" to learn how to record the holdings.
- A hand lettered call number label must be added to each issue. If there are many issues, there are typewriters with memory that can be used. See separate procedure entitled "What Call numbers look like" to format the call number on the label. No tattletaping or item records are required.
- Send the completed issues to the location designated on the front cover.
- All of the issues that are added at one time are counted as "1-Add vol" on the cataloging statistics form. These statistics are title statistics and are included in the ARL stats.