Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Cookery & Food Collection
How to Boil Water; An Amusing Cookbook for the Young at Heart
Betty Jane Donahue
Researchers will discover important and unique resources for the study of cookery and food. The collection features over 25,000 cookbooks and food related items from as early as the sixteenth century up to the present from all continents of the world.
Special collecting emphasis is on contemporary cookery of the Americas, including the United States; African American; Jewish American; Caribbean, Latin and South American; and the influence of West African food and diet on the Americas. The Michigan Cookbook Project is an attempt to collect all cookbooks published in the state. In addition to cookbooks there are strong resources in diet, health, and nutrition from the very old to the latest diet fad.
- Digital Collections: Early Michigan Community/Charity Cookbooks - A selection of over 30 Michigan community/charity cookbooks published between 1883 and 1923, which have been digitized as part of the Making of Modern Michigan project.
- Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project - Created from highlights of our Cookery Collection.
- Feeding America: Video Tour - This video highlights some of the key items in the Cookery Collection as well as discusses the history of cook books in America. (Requires Real Player http://www.real.com/player/)
- An Interview With American Cookbook Expert and Rare Book Curator Peter Berg - an interview with Peter Berg discussing cookbook collecting and the American cookbook collection at the MSU Library. Presented by The Collectors Weekly.
- Little Cookbooks: The Alan and Shirley Brocker Sliker Culinary Collection - contains thousands of food and cookery related publications produced primarily by companies in the United States from the late nineteenth century up to the present.