Basic Book Repair Techniques: Additional Resources
From Three Basic Book Repair Procedures by Carole Dyal and Pete Merrill-Oldham
This publication is not copyrighted. Printed copies are available for the cost of handling and mailing: single copy: $2.50; additional copies: $1.50 each. Please make checks payable to "Book Repair," Acme Bookbinding.". (Mailing address: "Book Repair"; c/o Acme Bookbinding; P.O. Box 699; Charlestown, MA 02129-0004).
If intervention is prompt, the life of a book can often be extended at very low cost. Unfortunately, damage may progress beyond the point where these basic techniques can be effective. More extensive treatment or commercial library binding may then be warranted. On the following is an abbreviated list of sources for conservation information and training.
- Collection Conservation Treatment: A Resource Manual for Program Development and Conservation Technician Training. Maralyn Jones, compiler. Berkeley: Conservation Department, The Library, University of California, 1993.
- Greenfield, Jane. Books: Their Care and Repair. New York: H.W. Wilson Co., 1983.
- Greenfield, Jane. The Care of Fine Books. New York: N. Lyons Books, 1988.
- Kyle, Hedi. Library materials preservation manual. Bronxville, NY: Nicholas T. Smith, 1983.
- Lavender, Kenneth and Scott Stockton. Book Repair: A How-To-Do-It: A Manual for Librarians. How-To-Do-It Manuals for School and Public Librarians, Number 4. New York: Neal Schuman Publishers, Inc., 1992.
- Morrow, Carolyn Clark, and Carole Dyal. Conservation Treatment Procedures: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures For the Maintenance and Repair of Library Materials, second edition. Littleton, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 1986. [Out of print.]
- Ritzenthaler, Mary Lynn. Preserving Archives and Manuscripts. Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 1993.
- Preservation of Library and Archival Materials: A Manual. Sherelyn Ogden, ed. Andover, MA: Northeast Document Conservation Center, 1996.
- Schrock, Nancy Carlson. An Introduction To Book Repair. Gaylord Preservation Pathfinder No. 4. Syracuse, NY: Gaylord, 1995.