Disaster Team: First Response
Persons to summon when a disaster occurs at MSU Libraries
It is the responsibility of the first Library Staff member made aware of a disaster to call the Circulation Desk: 517.355.2333 to ensure that
- Contact the appropriate service personnel (i.e. Trouble Truck)
- Contact a member of the Disaster Recovery Committee beginning with Peter Berg, if possible. He will determine if the Library Lines of Authority should be contacted.
- Take a Disaster Recovery barrel or other supplies to site of disaster, if necessary.
The first person contacted on the Disaster Recovery Committee will:
- Call the next person on the list of members until they speak to someone. The next person will do the same until all members have been alerted, unless the emergency is deemed minor. In that case, the next person contacted should send a message via email to "disaster" explaining what has happened and who is helping with the situation and if other members are or will be needed, where they should report, etc.
- The first person contacted (or a designee) will then go to the disaster site and determine if more committee members are needed to assist with the recovery work. Proceed to: Disaster Site Checklist
- Provides expert knowledge of floor plans. Will act as building reference person for emergency personnel.
- Organizes emergency communication operations. E.G. temporary radio, phone, and data communications systems.
Recovery Coordinator: Head of Conservation
- Assesses damage to materials
- Determines scope of salvage operation and sets timetable for recovery
- Identifies outside vendors as required
- Coordinates transportation & relocation activities
- Assigns specific tasks to specific disaster team members
- Determines costs for recovery of damaged items
- Determines supply, equipment, and personnel needs
Assistant Recovery Coordinator:
- Organizes and supervises recovery teams and volunteers
- Arranges for the boxing, packing, air-drying and/or freezing of damaged materials
- Assists Coordinator as needed
- Maintains disaster recovery supplies
Recorder: To be designated from available team members
- Maintains a log of the recovery operation procedures.
- Keeps detailed record of damaged materials sent off-site or treated in house
- Provide personnel to carry out recovery plan. This may include removal of damaged materials from the disaster site; arranging materials for air-drying; packing materials for shipment off-site.
Administrative Representative: Head of Preservation
- Acts as media representative for the Libraries
Funds Manager: Head of Accounting
- Authorizes emergency expenditures
Systems Manager: Head of Systems
- Systems contact information
- Ensures that damage to computers & software is minimized
- Ensures that priority computers and applications are restored quickly
- Keeps other Library units aware of system status