The Panama Canal: One Hundred Years of Connecting the World, 1914-2014
2rd floor, West Wing
April 15 - June 30
This exhibit commemorates the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Panama Canal. The dream of a canal linking the Atlantic and the Pacific through the Central American isthmus dates back centuries, but was not realized until 1914, when the Panama Canal officially opened for business on August 15. A number of the items in the exhibit are on loan from the MSU College of Engineering, including the surveyor's transit, photographs, a manuscript memoir and pamphlets. These and other items were owned by Ernest W. Baldwin, a 1911 graduate of the MSU College of Engineering who worked on the Canal from 1911 to 1916, and were donated to the College by his grandson, John Baldwin.
Exhibit produced by Mary Jo Zeter and Tom Volkening.