The MSU Library Environmental Committee (LEC) focuses on the Libraries’ use of natural resources with an eye toward sustainability that maintains and improves our overall working and learning environment. Toward this end, the committee promotes waste reduction and recycling and investigates the environmental impact of the use of paper and office supplies; ink and copiers; energy; lighting; PCs; heating and cooling; cleaning supplies and chemicals; parking and transportation; and design.
The committee has these functions:
- Advise MSU Libraries administration and staff on environmental concerns
- Provide educational information and programming on a wide range of topics related to sustainability and the environment
- Maintain resources related to these issues
- Act as liaison with the Office of Campus Sustainability and the MSU Surplus Store and Recycling Center
- Contact other units as required and approved
The committee approaches issues from an overall environmental and sustainability perspective and is not equipped to address individual health concerns.
The committee rotates chair and recorder duties among its membership. The committee reports to the Director of the Libraries. The committee will be consulted by the Director, Executive Council, and other committees and staff members when there are possible issues relating to the charge as defined above. All meetings are open to the staff at large and agendas and minutes will be posted in a timely manner.