Harris F. Beeman
Frank Beeman graduated from Michigan State University in 1943 with a degree in Physical Education. During this same time, he earned a varsity letter as a member of the MSU Tennis Team. He served in the Army during World War II as a paratrooper. He returned to MSU as a physical education instructor and men’s tennis coach in 1947. He received a Master’s Degree in 1947 and a Doctoral Degree in Educational Administration in 1960 from the University of Michigan. Coach Beeman’s 1951 men’s tennis team was the first team at MichiganState to win a Big Ten Championship.
In 1948 Dr. Beeman was asked to direct the Intramural Sports program in addition to his teaching and coaching responsibilities. He reported to Athletic Director, Biggie Munn until 1967 at which time the Intramural Sports and Recreative Services Department was moved to the Division of Student Affairs and Services. Dr. Beeman was instrumental in the planning process and the opening of the Men’s Intramural Building (later named IM Sports West) in 1959. He always maintained an open door policy for all MSU students, faculty and staff who wanted to talk with him. This was symbolized by an oversized doorway into the main office area.
Dr. Beeman also began a Master’s Degree program in Intramural Administration in 1962 which was the first graduate degree program of its kind in the nation. Frank sent more then 50 graduate students into the field of intramural sports and recreation services throughout his tenure. After 40 years of service to MichiganStateUniversity, Frank retired in 1987. Dr. Frank Beeman was a true pioneer in the field of intramural sports and recreative services. His legacy lives on throughout the nation in the intramural programs that his graduates continue to operate. Frank kept his connection to MSU by reading to MSU visually impaired students. Dr. Beeman’s vision has created a legacy which lives on for many years to come.