Battle Creek Sanitarium Collection
Table of contents
Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information:
Box number, Folder number and/or title, Battle Creek Sanitarium Collection, MSS 263, Special Collections, Michigan State University Main Library
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this archive, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The collection contains articles, pamphlets, menus, and postcards published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium from 1920-1930. Most of the articles and pamphlets were written by John Harvey Kellogg and were published by the Battle Creek Sanitarium in 1929. The collection is arranged by topic.
The Battle Creek Sanitarium opened in 1866 in Battle Creek, Michigan as the Western Health Reform Institute. The institute was founded on the health principles advocated by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. In 1876, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg became the medical superintendent at the sanitarium. Kellogg changed the institution’s focus from hydrotherapy to medical and surgical treatment. His many innovations included the use of radiation therapy for cancer patients and the invention of flaked cereal.
|1||1||Patient care instructions|
|3||The Sanitarium News|
|5||The Measure of a Man and The Reason Why|
|6||Literature on healthy eating|
|7||Postcards of the sanitarium and surrounding area|