Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Keep light. Keep under 3 lbs if using with 1 hand and under 1 lb if doing precision work.
- Distribution of weight should be balanced in the user’s hand.
- Avoid twisting your hands and wrists. Keep your wrist straight. Bend the tool, not the wrist. Use angled handles or power tools when necessary.
- Reduce excessive grip or pressure while holding or using the tools including force needed to use or turn on power tools.
- Do not use awkward positions. Don’t raise shoulders or elbows. Reposition your work piece, stand, or lower the work surface.
- Avoid repetitive motions. Rotate tasks.
- Relax your grip between tasks.
- Reduce vibrations from power tools.
- Make sure the tool fits your hand and the handle is comfortable.
- Use long handles with a length of 4-5.5 in and diameter of 1.5 in (example screwdriver) or .4 in precision items like tweezers.
- Use fitted gloves.
- Keep tools in good condition.
- Use tool belts that are not on the body or distribute the weight over the body not just the waist. Keep it light.
- TAKE BREAKS.
Sources and More Information: