Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Playing and practicing music requires repetitive motion and lots of it. To avoid "musical" injuries...
- Maintain a healthy posture when playing
- Stretch before and after playing
- Properly warm up—practice scales or ”jam” prior to playing
- Strengthen the arms, wrists and hands by doing appropriate exercises
- Take adequate breaks
Ergonomics for the musician...the small muscle athletes.
- Pain is not an early warning system. When you feel pain it because damage is happening. Change positions or stop.
- Go slow and have shorter practice sessions. No more than five minutes of new material at a time. Maximum six repetitions.