Workstation Set Up
An employee can spend a lot of time at her/his workstation. Therefore, it is very important to make sure your workstation is safe and comfortable. Here are some recommendations to make that happen:
- Keep the top of the monitor at or just below eye level.
- Your head and neck should be in-line with your torso.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and your elbows close to your body. Your elbows should form slightly more than a 90 degree angle.
- Your chair should support your back.
- Your hands and wrists should be kept straight. Do not bend your hands up at the wrists!
- Keep your keyboard, mouse, and other items you use frequently, close to you.
- Your feet should be flat on the ground or use a footrest to support your feet.
- Room lighting should match screen brightness.
- Less light is better. Need more light as age.
- Use task lights if necessary. Light should be where work is occurring and should not be directly overhead. Position to reduce glare and shadows.
- Use a document holder or headphones if necessary.
- See our section on dual monitors.
- For more information see: