Your MSU Library borrowing privileges (including MeLCat, ILLiad, and uBorrow) have been suspended until overdue fines or bills on your account have been paid.
- Call (517) 355-2333 to charge to Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover
- Pay in person at the Main Library Circulation Desk with cash, check or Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover
Mail a check payable to MSU and include your PID or barcode number from your MSU Library Card to:
Accounts, Circulation, Main Library
MSU Libraries (23)
366 W. Circle Drive
East Lansing, MI 48824
- Accounts, Circulation, Main Library
Questions about overdue fines?
The confidentiality of library records in the state of Michigan is protected by "The Library Privacy Act," Michigan Compiled Law (MCL 397.601-606, Act 455 of 1982). Thus, we do not discuss fines over the phone.
Please email your question to email@example.com from your msu.edu email account or write to us at Accounts, Circulation, Main Library, MSU Libraries (23), 366 W. Circle Drive, East Lansing, MI 48824. Please include your MSU PID or the barcode number from your MSU library card. You may also ask to speak to a supervisor at the Main Library Circulation Desk during any of our open hours.
NOTE: If the fine is from one of the following locations, please send an email from your msu.edu address to the appropriate contact below or visit the service desk Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm and ask to speak to a supervisor:
- Business Library
- Gerald M Kline Digital and Multimedia Center
- Fine Arts Library
- Gull Lake/KBS Library
- Mathematics Library
- MSU College of Law Library
MSU Libraries' Fine Policies
Although there are no overdue fines for most material, policies for fineable items (summarized below) apply to ALL borrowers (including MSU faculty/staff and MSU College of Law faculty/staff).
- Fines for recalled material not returned by the recall due date are $1 per day
- Reserve fines are $1 per hour, 24 hours a day. Fines for material related to Collaborative Technology Labs are $6 per hour. NOTE: Our system considers an item that is one minute overdue to be a full hour overdue. Therefore, the full hourly amount is assessed for any portion of an hour overdue, even one minute.
- Fines for 7-day material (CDs, DVDs, videos, records, software, etc.) are $1 per day.
- Overdue fines on material borrowed from other libraries (interlibrary loans, including MeLCat, ILLiad and uBorrow) are $2 per day.
- Fine amounts are not calculated until the day that library material is actually checked-in from your record.
- When you owe $2 or more, your MSU Library borrowing privileges (including MeLCat, ILLiad, and uBorrow) are suspended without notice until the entire amount is paid. (You may not know that you have fines until you try to check out material and find your privileges blocked.)
- MSU College of Law fines may be paid (in cash or by check payable to MSU College of Law) at the MSU College of Law Circulation Desk or by check made payable to MSU College of Law and mailed to: Accounts, Circulation, MSU College of Law Library, 648 N. Shaw Lane, East Lansing, MI 48824.