Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
A beligerent interlude in Wrigley Field
Photograph shows a fight that broke out between Bill Jurges of the Chicago Cubs and Dick Bartell of the New York Giants at Chicago's Wrigley Field on July 23, 1938 in the second game of a double header. Baseball players pictured include Cubs Frank Demaree (No. 9), Billy Herman (no. 4), Red Corriden (No. 19 and Cubs' coach) and Giants Hal Schumacher, (No. 17) and Mel Ott (No. 4).
12.7 x 15.4 cm
black and white
- Baseball players--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- Baseball players--New York (State)--New York--1930-1940
- Chicago Cubs (Baseball team)--People--1930-1940
- Jurges, William Frederick, 1908-1997
- Wrigley Field (Chicago, Ill.)
- Demaree, Frank, 1910-1958
- New York Giants (Baseball team)--People--1930-1940
- Ott, Mel, 1909-1958
- Baseball managers--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- Bartell, Dick, 1907-1995
- Herman, Billy, 1909-1992.
- Corriden, Red, 1887-1959.
- Schumacher, Hal, 1910-1993.
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (July 24, 1938), Part 2, p. 6