Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
Big Bertha's anniversary : one of the artillery giants
The German long range cannon, the Krupp "WilhelmGeschutz" (commonly known as Big Bertha) in firing position. In 1918 it shelled Paris from nearly 75 miles away. At the base of the cannon are three officers. Two wear peaked caps; the other has on the “Pickelhaube” (spiked helmet).
21.2 x 15.4 cm
black and white
- Artillery (Weaponry)--German--1910-1920
- World War, 1914-1918--Campaigns & battles--German--France--Paris
- Germany. Heer--People--1910-1920
- Military officers--German--1910-1920
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (March 20, 1938), p. 7