Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
Gibraltar : Spanish refugees storm Gibraltar
Refugees fleeing the Spanish Civil War mob Gibraltar's “La Linea” border crossing with Spain. The crossing consists of a high gate positioned in a metal fence topped with barbed wire. Behind the gate a group of British soldiers monitor the crowd. They wear Wolseley pattern pith helmets, shirts, shorts, puttees, and boots. Standing with them is a solitary policeman in a “Bobby” uniform.
6.5 x 10 cm
black and white
- Barbed wire--1930-1940
- Great Britain. Army--People--Gibraltar--1930-1940
- Spain--History--Civil War, 1936-1939--Refugees--Gibraltar
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (July 17, 1938), p. 3
- Chicago Tribune (Firm). London Bureau