Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
WGN modern radio marvel : a tour through the plant
Article offers a photographic tour of the WGN. Images include: photographs of the transmitting tower for WGN radio, the rear view of the transmitter house, the "hot stick" used to close switch in the power distribution room, the heating unit for the transmitter house and part of the cooling system for tubes used in transmission, the basement tank storing distilled water next to pumps that circulate it through the tube cooling system, W. R. Crane of the WGN staff at the master control board, the front view of the transmitter house, the telephone amplifiers through which pass electrical impulses carrying programs from WGN studios, the view toward the radiator from the transmitter house, one of the giant tubes used in transmitter, the transmitter front panel, and a diagram showing how radio waves are reflected by the Heaviside layer.
48.5 x 20 cm
black and white
- Radio antennas--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- Radio broadcasting--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- Radio stations--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- WGN (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)--Equipment & supplies--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- WGN (Radio station : Chicago, Ill.)--Facilities--Illinois--Chicago--1930-1940
- Architectural photographs
- Editorial advertisements
- Still life photographs
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Advertisement Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (July 23, 1939), p. 4
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (July 23, 1939), p. 5
- Chicago Tribune (Firm)