Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
One of the nightmares of modern warfare
Army soldiers rehearse at Fort Sheridan for a military show that was to take place at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. The crew of a Browning M1917 heavy machine gun is obscured by a smoke screen. Two soldiers in gas masks and World War One-style tin pot helmets observe the operation.
14 x 18.1 cm
- Machine guns--1930-1940
- Military training--Illinois--Fort Sheridan--1930-1940
- Shooting--Illinois--Fort Sheridan--1930-1940
- Smoke--Illinois--Fort Sheridan--1930-1940
- Soldiers--American--Illinois--Fort Sheridan--1930-1940
- Unites States. Army--People--Illinois--Fort Sheridan--1930-1940
- Browning Firearms Company--Products--1930-1940
- M1917 Machine gun--1930-1940
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (June 15, 1930), p. 3
- Chicago Tribune (Firm)