Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
Queer features of life as it passes in this busy world of ours : he plans to travel beneath the frozen surface of the ocean to the North Pole
Illustrations depict submarine designer Simon Lake, dynamite blowing air holes through ice, a submarine diving down into the ocean, and a submarine boring up through the surface for air. These images correlate with an article describing Albert Riedel's proposal to reach the North Pole.
17 x 21.8 cm
black and white
- Lake, Simon, 1866-1945
- North Pole-1890-1900
- Ice--North Pole--1890-1900
- Explosions--North Pole--1890-1900
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (February 13, 1898), n.p.