Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
Condemned to Devil's Island
Photograph of retired Lieutenant Colonel Alfred Dreyfus attending a ceremony dedicating a memorial plague at the Paris home of author Emile Zola. Zola had been Dreyfus' most ardent defenders. Dreyfus had been unjustly sent to the Devil's Island penal colony for treason. Drefus wears civilian clothes: hat, three-piece suit, and sunglasses.
9 x 10 cm
- Dreyfus, Alfred, 1859-1935--Public appearances--France--Paris--1920-1930
- France. Armée--People--1920-1930
- Military officers--French--France--Paris--1920-1930
- Zola, Émile, 1840-1902--Commemorations--France--Paris--1920-1930
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (June 23, 1929), p. 4
- Wide World Photos, Inc.