Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
Devil's Island has no wooden pistol breaks : French convicts being taken to the prison ship La Martiniere
Drawing shows French convicts being loaded on a two-wheel horse-drawn wood wagon to the prison ship La Martiniere at a French port for transport to the French Guiana penal colonly. Two blue-clad guards wearing capes and kepis oversee the loading. One guard carries a rifle.
10.9 x 14.8 cm
- Carts & wagons--French--France--1930-1940
- Prison guards--France--1930-1940
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (July 22, 1934), p. 8