Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
One of the most human pictures coming out of flood area last spring
Photograph shows Mrs. Winfred Haver, also known as "Madonna of the floodlands," breastfeeding her infant son. They were Arkansas flood refugees at Memphis, Tennessee.
15.5 x 13 cm
black and white
- Breast feeding--Tennessee--Memphis--1930-1940
- Disaster victims--Tennessee--Memphis--1930-1940
- Haver, Winfred, Mrs.
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Sunday Tribune (December 26, 1937), p. 7
- Associated Press