Provide feedback on this item
Please provide details, labels, or ideas that will help this image be more findable and better described.
President reads message of surrender from the Japanese
Harry Truman, 33rd President of the United States, reads the Japanese surrender message. Those pictured with him include: Julius Albert Krug, U.S. Secretary of the Interior and chief of the War Production Board; Leo Crowley, chief of the U.S. Foreign Economic Administration; Major General Philip B. Fleming, head of the Federal Military Works Agency; William Hammatt Davis, U.S. Economic Stabilizer; John Wesley Snyder, U.S. Cabinet Secretary and Director of War Mobilization and Reconversion; James Forrestal, U.S. Secretary of Defense; Fred M. Vinson, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury; Tom C. Clark, U.S. Attorney General; Lewis B. Schwellenbach, U.S. Secretary of Labor; John B. Blandford, administrator of the National Housing Agency; Robert E. Hannegan, U.S. Postmaster General; Cordell Hull, former U.S. Secretary of State; James F. Byrnes, U.S. Secretary of State; and William D. Leahy, U.S. Chief of Staff to the Commander in Chief.
8.5 x 4.8 cm
black and white
- Admirals--American--Washington (D.C.)--1940-1950
- Blandford, John Bennett, 1897-1972
- Byrnes, James F. (James Francis), 1882-1972
- Clark, Tom C. (Thomas Campbell), 1899-1977
- Crowley, Leo
- Davis, William H. (William Hammatt), 1879-1964
- Fleming, Philip B. (Philip Bracken), 1887-1955
- Forrestal, James, 1892-1949
- Generals--American--Washington (D.C.)--1940-1950
- Government officials--American--Washington (D.C.)--1940-1950
- Hannegan, Robert E. (Robert Emmet), 1903-1949
- Hull, Cordell, 1871-1955
- Krug, Julius A. (Julius Albert), 1907-1970
- Leahy, William D.
- Presidents--United States--1940-1950
- Reading--Washington (D.C.)--1940-1950
- Schwellenbach, Lewis B. (Lewis Baxter), 1894-1948
- Snyder, John W. (John Wesley), 1895-1985
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972
- Vinson, Fred M., 1890-1953
- World War, 1939-1945--Peace--Washington (D.C.)
- World War, 1939-1945--Surrenders--Japanese
- still image
- These materials are either in the public domain, according to U.S. copyright law, or permission has been obtained from rights owners. The digital version and supplementary materials are available for all educational uses worldwide.
- The Janet A. Ginsburg Chicago Tribune Image Collection
- Chicago Daily Tribune (August 15, 1945), p. 2
- Associated Press