Research Data Management Guidance (RDMG)
- Research Data Planning & Design
- Data Collection
- Data Study & Analysis
- Data Publishing, Sharing & Reuse
- Long Term Storage
The Michigan State University Libraries support the University's mission of preservation, creation, transmission and application of knowledge by providing access to educational resources and services. To that end, the Libraries in conjunction with the University Archives offers a Research Data Management Guidance service to respond to the emerging concern surrounding research data management.
- Faculty Staff
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Students
- Other MSU-affiliated unit/department
Description of Research Data Support Services
Research Data Planning & Design
- Grant Writing
- Data Management Plan Consultation sto help researchers tailor data management best practices to their particular funding proposal. Consultants and researchers work together to gather and document the information necessary to develop a one-to-two page data management plan. Service offered free of charge.
- Data Management
- Training sessions to introduce researchers to practical data management skills, MSU-specific resources, and current data-related trends in funding and scholarly communication
- Referrals -- Assist researchers with making appropriate connections to distributed university research support services
- Recommendation for purchases of general purpose or popular secondary data sets are welcomed and will be pursued contingent upon funding.
Data Study & Analysis
- Instructional Support -- Orient students to statistical information and data resources available through the library and on the Internet.
Data Publishing, Sharing & Reuse
- Intellectual property assistance (copyright, licensing, patenting, trademark)
- Consultation regarding copyright law and/or permissions.
- Metadata assistance
- Consultation regarding metadata standards and tools
- Assistance identifying and facilitating access to data sets within the library’s collection and from outside resources. Individual consultations available in-person, by phone, and through email
Long Term Storage
- Assistance identifying appropriate repositories for long-term deposition of research data