Due to major system maintenance, you will not be able to request items through MeLCat beginning on November 18, 2015. Renewals for MeLCat items will still be possible until December 2, 2015. The system should be available for requesting again in early December. If you are MSU faculty, student or staff, please try Uborrow. Our community borrowers will not have access to interlibrary loan through MSU during that time. For more information, please read this MeLCat Server Migration FAQ. We apologize for the inconvenience.
MSU Visitor/Visiting Scholar Identification Cards and MSU Library Privileges
Individuals with MSU VISITOR or VISITING SCHOLAR identification cards are welcome to use resources in the library:
- MSU Visitors and Visiting Scholars may read books and journals in the library (but may not check them out).
- MSU Visitors and Visiting Scholars may use MSU online electronic resources on "Selected Resources" computers in the Main Library and Branch Libraries. Individuals with MSU Visitor or Visiting Scholar ID cards are not authorized for access to online resources from a laptop, campus office, university housing, or off-campus.
Individuals with MSU VISITOR or VISITING SCHOLAR ID cards may not request material from other libraries through MSU Libraries InterLibrary Services.
If additional library privileges are desired, there are two options:
MSU faculty/staff privileges (including borrowing, interlibrary loan and off-campus access to online resources) are available only to visiting researchers who have an academic appointment with MSU. Present an MSU Faculty/Staff ID card at the Main Library Circulation Desk.
- MSU Faculty/Staff ID cards may be obtained after the sponsoring MSU department has initiated (in the EBS/SAP system) an official MSU academic appointment. This can be an adjunct/unpaid appointment.
- Once the academic appointment has been initiated in EBS/SAP, MSU department staff may contact the MSU ID Office for information on how the visiting researcher may obtain an MSU Faculty/Staff ID card and MSU NetID (for email only until the appointment is finalized) while waiting for the appointment to be finalized: IDOffice@msu.edu, (517) 355-4500, or 170 International Center (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm).
Community library privileges may be obtained by presenting the following at the Main Library Circulation Desk:
- a passport OR a U.S. driver's license OR a State of Michigan Identification card and
- an official copy of a signed lease for local housing or an MSU housing contract (obtained from the residence hall or apartment director)
**Community privileges allow a 3-week loan period for no more than 25 books through the end date of the housing lease AND requesting books from other Michigan libraries through MeLCat. Community privileges do not include ILLiad or access to eResources from outside the library.
Questions? Please email Erin Weller, Head of Circulation, MSU Libraries: email@example.com.