Overdue and Replacement ILL Policy
In order to maintain a positive working relationship with libraries who lend to MSU, the MSU InterLibrary Services office has instituted the following policies regarding overdue interlibrary loan materials.
- A fine of $2.00 per day will be charged for each item overdue. This fine will not be waived.
- If it becomes necessary to send a second notice about overdue interlibrary loan material, the borrower will be billed for replacement costs and their borrowing privileges will be suspended until the account is paid in full and the material is returned or replaced by the borrower.
- Patrons, including faculty, staff or students, who have been billed for overdue items, with no response to or interaction with InterLibrary Services, more than three times will have their privileges for interlibrary loan revoked.
- Repeated abuse of interlibrary loan privileges by consistently not returning materials on time may result in suspension of borrowing privileges for a period of up to one year.
- InterLibrary Services will rarely deny requests for photocopies and similar non-returnable interlibrary loans to patrons, even if they have had overdue items, as long as they have returned all overdue materials and paid all fines.
All patrons will be assessed an overdue fee for interlibrary loan materials returned after the due date.
- An overdue notice, indicating a fine of $2.00 per day per item, will be sent the day after the due date. Failure to receive this notice will not excuse the overdue nor waive the fee.
Fines will stop accruing but will not be eliminated when the overdue item is returned.
If the material is not returned, a second overdue notice will be sent. It will provide a notice of the ongoing fine on each item overdue and a warning that all library services and some MSU privileges may be blocked if the material is not returned and the fines paid.
- At this point the patron will be blocked from placing new interlibrary loan requests until the item is returned and the fine paid.
If the material is not returned after the second notice, a final overdue notice will be issued. It will notify the patron that a bill for replacement of the missing item is being sent. A hold will be placed on the patron's MSU student enrollment, registration, diplomas and transcripts and will remain in place until the account is paid in full or the material is returned. In addition, all borrowing privileges from MSU Libraries will be suspended.
- The replacement bill will be a minimum of $100. If the library which owns the item charges a higher replacement fee, the higher fee will be charged.
- Patrons with material (i.e. lost or damaged items) not returned will pay the replacement bill and all overdue fees.
- Billed interlibrary loan material cannot be renewed.
- Material returned after the payment of the replacement fee will usually result in a refund of the replacement charge minus a processing fee of $15. Refunds for replacement charges is not possible if a check has already been sent to the lending library.
- Within a few days after a billed item is paid or returned to MSU Libraries Circulation Desk, the replacement charge and enrollment hold will be cancelled and any applicable overdue fine will be charged.
- If the material is not returned, a second overdue notice will be sent. It will provide a notice of the ongoing fine on each item overdue and a warning that all library services and some MSU privileges may be blocked if the material is not returned and the fines paid.
If the same person has overdue InterLibrary Loan materials that require us to issue a second notice on three occasions, their status will change and they will no longer be permitted to borrow interlibrary loan materials that must be returned.
- The patron will receive notice of status change.
- The patron will be warned that only requests for photocopies and other non-returnable items will be processed.
Patrons who have had their status changed and can no longer borrow items that must be returned will be encouraged to meet with the Head of InterLibrary Services to negotiate a change in status. This change will require that:
- The patron must return all materials and
- The patron must pay all outstanding fees and fines.
- If the patron does not comply with the above within one month of the notice, the patron will be placed on a list suspending all interlibrary loan borrowing privileges. The Head of InterLibrary Services has the option of restoring borrowing rights to the patron. A second incident causing suspension may result in permanent loss of privileges.
- Non-compliance with requests for the return of the borrowed material may be reported to campus security. Unresolved bills will be sent to a collection agency.