Cross-National Time-Series Data Archive (1815-2009)
The Cross-National Time-Series Data Archive (CNTS) is a longitudinal set of 194 variables with data for over 200 county units for the period 1815-2009 (excluding the two modern wartime periods, 1914-1918 and 1940-1945). The CNTS data was originally published by Arthur S. Banks at the State University of New York at Binghamton in 1968 and was based on data from the Statesman's Yearbook. Variables cover economic, political, population and demographic variables. Emphasis is on political regime and systems data.
Access to CNTS Data Archive files is limited to current MSU affiliates only and requires login with your MSU netID and password.
- CNTSdata.xls (MS Excel spreadsheet with complete data)
- Independent_States_Since_1815.xls (MS Excel spreadsheet)
- Bibliography.xls (MS Excel spreadsheet. Lists references as coded into the CNTS data)
- Codebook.xls (MS Excel spreadsheet)
- User_Manual.doc (MS Word document. Includes background, structure, variable definitions and coding criteria, and source information)
Please direct any questions about the CNTS Data Archive to Hailey Mooney, Data Services Librarian.
Additional information about the CNTS Data Archive is available from the publisher Databanks International. Of particular interest:
Please see the Bibliography and User Manual for a complete list of CNTS data sources. This list points to both data sources used in the CNTS Data Archive and some complementary related resources.